March 5, 2011

Food as a life and death proposition

I recently read a book in which the author, in a discussion about meat eating, gave as one of his a priori arguments the statement that "eating animals is disgusting." The implication was that even meat eaters think eating animals is disgusting; they just can't help themselves.

If this is true---if eating animals is disgusting---then the whole natural world is disgusting. Living things survive by consuming other living things. Life feeds on life. Every living thing dies. All birth leads to death. Death, in turn, nourishes life.

We feel worse about eating animals than about eating plants, because, I guess, animals look furry and cute. Somehow killing a plant or a fungus or a tree---in taking what we need to feed our hunger, and shelter and warm our vulnerable bodies---is more palatable to us than killing something that bleeds. Do trees and plants not bleed? Is sap not blood? Maybe it is just that it is not blood like ours; it is not blood as we understand blood.

I know a number of vegetarians who eat fish. I am not sure why fish are okay to eat and cows or sheep are not. Perhaps it’s because fish don't seem to experience life the way we do. I think we just don't understand fish consciousness, because it's not like ours. Neither do we understand the consciousness of mycelium, the delicate webs of fungi that nourish mushrooms. According to mushroom expert Paul Stamets, mycelium are sentient: they tie forests together with huge, "deeply intelligent" networks that respond to conditions and direct the flow of nutrients.(1) Some researchers have found evidence that forests have a kind of communal consciousness, in which one tree will sacrifice itself for the good of the whole. (Talk about a consciousness that humans don't understand! Or at least humans in Western industrial civilization.)

In nature, few things die of old age. In nature, death is often violent. I once came upon the remains of a deer hamstrung by coyotes: it had bled from its haunches as it ran over lake ice in the winter, chased by the hungry canids. The blood and fur and coyote tracks stretched across the lake for hundreds of yards. The fear was still palpable, written vividly on the blood-spattered snow. I could see the place where the deer had finally lost its footing, or maybe given up, and been brought down.
* * *
We humans have kept domesticated animals for thousands of years. They have provided us with meat to eat, leather and wool to clothe ourselves, bone and horn for tools, tallow for candles, lard for cooking, hooves for glue, and manure for crops. In so doing---in domesticating certain species---we have changed them. They can no longer survive without us. Humans and livestock share a long history of mutual dependency. If I walked out this morning and opened the gates to our goat and sheep paddocks, I would be committing these animals to death from predation, starvation, or disease. Well, I'd have to do more than just open the gates; I'd have to open the gates, push them out or entice them out with food, and close the gates behind them to prevent their return. They would not willingly leave the security of their shelters, water buckets, and hay feeders. If I were to force them into the wild, and if by some miracle a few intrepid individuals survived and successfully raised young---which they wouldn't---but if they did, they would completely alter the surrounding ecosystem. They would compete with deer for available forage; native species of animals and plants would die.

Let's pretend that our country elected a one-hundred-percent vegan administration, which passed laws prohibiting the keeping of livestock and mandating the release of all livestock. Aside from the environmental chaos that would ensue---aside from the suffering and death of all of these animals, the disease spread from the rotting carcasses and the explosion of opportunistic meat-eating predators (who would in turn die after this temporary balloon in their food supply disappeared)---aside from all of that, what would people eat? How would we possibly feed everybody? Do you know how much land would have to be planted with soybeans and wheat to feed 310,927,572 people (the U.S. population as of this writing)? Can you imagine the effect on water supplies, topsoil, and wildlife habitat, if enough arable land could even be found? Can you imagine the desertification caused by the felling of trees and the diversion of river waters for crops?

Where we have gone wrong in the keeping of livestock is where we have gone wrong in everything else---in industrializing the practice, in commodifying the animals, in taking ourselves out of the relationship of mutual dependence and turning animals into products, into Big Macs and chicken fingers. Anyone who visited a CAFO (“confined animal feeding operation”), or a commercial chicken “farm,” and saw the reality of commercial livestock operations, would probably swear off meat for good. I would, if that were the only way to raise meat. But it isn't.
* * *
In keeping livestock, I live in relationship with animals I intend to consume. I also live in relationship with the fruit trees and bramble bushes whose products I consume, and in somewhat shorter-term relationship with the potatoes, squash, and other vegetables I grow. I tend all of them---I nurture and care for them, I facilitate breedings and the continuation of these species so that I can eat. The eventual outcome for everything in this arrangement is death---even for me. But it is also life. Life ends in death; death sustains life. I love my animals. I had thought that I would eat my animals in spite of the fact that I love them; I have learned that loving these animals and eating these animals are two sides of a coin.

Like humans, animals are individuals. I found it easier to say goodbye to Brown One and Fat Face, who were complete thugs and tormented our ewes, but I took friendly Skinny Face to the butcher along with them. Because if every animal I liked was spared a trip to the butcher, what would happen? Pretty soon I would have an overaged flock of animals too numerous for our small pastures to support in good health, and they would begin to die from malnutrition and disease. By participating in the cycle of life and death, by keeping the animals in good health, I help keep the species in good health and the land that sustains us in good health. The act of raising livestock involves respect, gratitude, and reciprocity. In taking the life of any animal for food, whether it is a domesticated sheep or a wild deer, I obligate myself to provide for the health and perpetuation of its species.

My animals spend their days playing, eating, jostling for alpha status, lying in the sun, chewing their cud. They have shelter available, but often prefer to be under the sun and the moon and the stars. They come to greet me when I bring hay and water. They seem content. When it's time for them to go, they come willingly, enticed by food, for they have learned not to fear me.

We go to a small local butcher, a man we know and respect, who provides dry stalls with fresh hay and water for the animals. There is no sound or smell of fear. He knocks them out with a stun gun before slitting their throats and letting them bleed out. I hope to learn to do this myself some day, to close the life and death circle right here on the farm, right here while the animals are grazing contentedly: to say goodbye between one breath and the next. Providing not only a good life, but a good death, is the ultimate act of respect in our reciprocity.
* * *
We ate a lot of chicken over the summer---the result of a surfeit of roosters. I was happy to see the roosters go: they gang-raped the loudly protesting hens repeatedly, leaving their necks and backs featherless and raw. The rooster meat was surprisingly good: these birds had foraged for greens and seed heads, scratched for insects, and roosted in the shade at the edge of the woods.

This winter we have been eating lamb: Fat Face, Skinny Face, and Brown One. The meat---chops, stews, burgers, roasts, sausage--- is wonderful: tender and flavorful. I cook the bones up into nourishing broth. I know what these animals ate and the conditions in which they lived, so I don't worry about parasites and diseases. The animals sustain and nourish us, as we sustained and nourished them.

We are expecting babies this spring. Our three does are visibly swelling. It's harder to tell which of the sheep might be pregnant, swathed as they are in voluminous winter fleeces, but I'm pretty sure that Ness, at least, was bred. One of our hens, Nigie, is showing broody tendencies, so we will collect eggs from the others and let her follow her mothering instincts and raise some chicks. I eagerly anticipate the joy of new life this spring, of chicks and lambs and kids gamboling about.

We are also expecting our first grandchild---any day now, actually. Every birth is latent with potential, a blend of hope and mystery. I hope the next generation of our family has the opportunity to experience food as part of the natural cycle of life and death, to see and taste the rich milk coming from our does, to collect eggs from our chickens, to help provide for the animals that provide for us. I hope that our grandchildren have the opportunity to appreciate the gifts that the world can give us, and understand the obligation thus created. I hope they get the chance to hold baby chicks in their hands, to laugh at the antics of goat kids, to pick blueberries and cherries and pop them into their mouths, and to plunge their hands in to the rich garden soil, looking for worms.

______________________
(1) Paul Stamets, Mycelium Running, Ten Speed Press, 2005, pp 2-5

10 comments:

  1. I really like what you wrote and have been thinking about this for a while. We get OutdoorTV or something like that here now and I have been watching a lot of hunting shows. So I am trying to reconcile my feelings about shooting animals and eating animals. I do eat animals, but seem to not appreciate hunting, at least the tv version of it. It does not seem very ethical as opposed to your farm. Maybe I have romantic visions of a person alone in the woods, but having GPS, Trackers, Spotters, High Powered Rifles with 400+ yd accuracy and video surveillance of hunting grounds just does not seem fair, it is not hunting it is harvesting. Again, I have no problem with killing and eating, just call it what it is.

    Was the Guide Camp like this? Am I just nostalgic for a past that never was?

    I hate to bring this up and I do not mean to offend you, but I wondered about your usage of “Gang-Rape” in your blog. It seems to either criminalize and anthropomorphize normal animal behavior or normalize abhorrent human behavior. Am I overreacting to this? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts and questions! Wow, two big ones. Okay, one at a time.

    As far as hunting, things seem to have changed since I was last in the sporting camp business fifteen years ago. Things were pretty low-tech, although the bear guides did bait, which seemed, as you said, not fair. Some folks were after a trophy, but not all. Some of them just seemed to like to spend time in the woods tracking animals. I remember one bird hunter in particular, who loved exploring woods and fields and looking for bird sign. He had lots of opportunities but would only shoot a few grouse, and he would eat them the same day. He always asked for access to my sink so he could clean the birds himself, and he did so, I can only say, lovingly, showing me what was in the gizzard that the bird had been eating, saving all of the feathers. By request I would cook the birds for him, and he approached his meal with what seemed almost like a religious ritual.

    On to your next point: my use of the term "gang-rape" to describe rooster behavior. Good call: this is certainly not a term any biologist would use, or probably even most farmers. We ended up with too many roosters in our flock and I don't know whether the excess numbers contributed to their aggression. I DO know that our hens spent most of their days hiding from the roosters, that they screamed every time they got pinned, that once they were pinned, the other roosters gathered round and took advantage, and that our hens ended up with large raw, occasionally bloody, featherless spots on their backs and necks. My use of the term "gang-rape" certainly reflects the horror I felt, as a human female, watching this.

    This was very different from the matings of our other livestock. With the sheep and goats, the females become very receptive when they are cycling and they are quite happy to be with the males at that point. That's how I could tell when it was time to bring the bucks around: the does would stand at the fence mooning at the bucks, wagging their tails and backing up. There is no forcing involved in the mating. And when the females are not cycling/receptive, they will have nothing to do with the males. The males may chase them a bit but give up when they don't get anywhere.

    Chickens have been domesticated and bred by humans longer than any other animal, so we are thousands of years away from "natural" behavior in this case. Our sheep and goat breeds, on the other hand, are primitve or "unimproved," and may retain more natural mating behavior. Perhaps something about the way humans have domesticated chickens has warped their breeding behavior?

    But the sheep and goats certainly treat each other in ways that we would not consider "nice." There is a hierarchy, which is always being challenged by those who aren't at the top, and those who are at the top do things like hog all of the food and barr others from entry to shelter during a storm---aside from all of the head-butting/ramming. They don't have any of our ideas of fairness or beneficence (and if you look at the reality of human society instead of the ideals, perhaps we aren't far removed from them.) So I guess part of my usage was a way of reminding a society that no longer interfaces much with animals that animals often aren't very "nice" to each other, and would not understand the "morality" of vegetarianism.

    Does this make any sense? Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle, the excess of roosters seems to tip the balance of the flock, but they just do what they normally do. Is the mating behavior "less violent" when the flock is in balance? My limited knowledge suggests that you only need one male, but many females to ensure survival. I don't think that we "warped" their behavior. It is their behavior when resources are sparse.

    The "gang rape" comment was good way to convey your feelings, but maybe not to explain the situation. It is a slippery slope. When do we ascribe a human morality to animals and to which ones?

    After reading and re-reading this I am thinking about "morality of vegetarianism." Time has proven that we are not far removed from our instincts. Wether it be grabbing the last roll at dinner, honking a horn at a traffic light, or attacking a sovreign nation. The vegetarian may try to claim the high ground, but it is an ultimately meaningless quest with all that goes on in the world, and all that they/we are a part of.

    The world would be in much better shape if we actually worried about using people as objects or tools to use, or prizes to be won, instead of a small percentage of the world population choosing not to eat some animals sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dr_drus,
    I do think you are right in that our flock was out of balance, and this affected the roosters' behavior. But I still think that many natural breeding behaviors may get distorted in overly domesticated livestock.

    I stand corrected---twice now!---on the gang-rape reference. It just wasn't anything I had witnessed in other animals, wild or domesticated, and I (clearly) found it disturbing. And since it affected the hens so strongly, it affected the farm, since we humans, as well as our dogs, depend upon the eggs as food supply, and stressed hens don't lay.

    Yes, time has indeed proven that we humans are not far removed from our instincts. And you also make a good point that if morality is a human concept, we are far from consistent about it.
    Thanks for weighing in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne McKMarch 15, 2011

    I do not think that you were so far off in your comments Kyle. Look at the definitions of what you are discussing. Rape is when sex happens and one of the parties is not giving full consent. Gang is a group acting together in unison. I don't know or care about the morality of chicken behavior. It doesn't rally matter. the hens were not consenting and the boys were out of control.

    Should we approve or condone this behavior because the flock was out of balance? That is a slippery slope. Is our own culture out of balance and so the gangs should be excused? Keeping the flock in balance is of course the answer here but let us not get too picky about the choice of words to describe behavior witnessed and evaluated by a caring and intelligent farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not intend for my reply to become a referendum on the usage of the term “gang rape.” I was and still am concerned with our continued anthropomorphizing of animal behavior and the consequences of doing so. This anthropomorphizing dilutes the qualities of all species, including us, by ascribing characteristics that just are not there, or by lessening the ethical responsibilities of the species involved.

    I am positive that Kyle and her family are intelligent and caring Homesteaders and am apologizing if my original post or follow-up did not reflect that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stand by my feeling that if the hens could speak, they would not disagree with my description. I am not sure whether it is anthropomorphizing, or even what is meant by that. Scientists like to use sterile language in order to try to sound objective. When you live with animals, you understand that for them, everything is subjective.

    No apologies necessary! It was a good point to bring up and one that I will probably think about a lot over the long term, as I consider my relationship with these animals.

    Thanks again for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kyle’s post along with:

    No Face, but Plants Like Life Too
    By CAROL KAESUK YOON, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/science/15food.html?_r=1&ref=science

    and

    Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others
    By MARK BITTMAN
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others/


    and

    Watching Anthony Bourdain in Vienna

    Have all been a perfect storm of food thought, and food for thought. (too good to pass up) I completely understand and am in support of a more holistic understanding of food and the politics of food. Something the two of you seem to be doing firsthand. Something that comes from much thought and discussion based on a variety of needs of all beings involved.
    I thank you for continuing to push this issue forward and look forward to continuing the discussion on the ramifications of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for those links, dr_drus! And, not owning a television, I had not heard of Anthony Bourdain, but I find this comment about him from Wikipedia very interesting:

    "an advocate for communicating the value and tastiness of traditional or 'peasant' foods, including specifically all of the varietal bits and unused animal parts not usually eaten by affluent 21st-century Westerners."

    Using every bit of our animals is a learning curve, as people have largely forgotten how to do this. But it seems to me to be both an opportunity and an obligation. As is keeping a flock in balance---which happens to require killing excess roosters. As is keeping our culture in balance---which we have long ago forgotten how to do.

    You and Suzanne have both gotten my mental wheels turning again. No black and white anywhere; just lots of gray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If we aren't suppose to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

    sbj

    ReplyDelete